#29 Helles Weizen

Eureka, another wheat recipe from the past. This recipe is the same as batch #28 Helles Weizen and the second batch for the wheat yeast comparison experiment. I compared four different yeast strains in this batch. The rest of the batch was used for a Orangenweizen (with oranges) and a “normal” wheat batch fermented with the #3068 Weihenstephan for normal drinking purposes.

Recipe: Helles Weizen
Numbers: Volume [L] 30 (7.9 gal)
Original gravity 13.6°P
Terminal gravity 2.5- 4.0°P (different strains)
Color Around 3 EBC
IBU 10 IBU
ABV Around 5.9 %
Grains: Wheat Malt (3 EBC) 3.9 kg
Pilsner Malt (3 EBC) 3.15 kg
Acidified malt (5 EBC) 0.15 kg (added at 53°C)
Hops: Hallertauer (4.2% AA) 17.1 g and boil for 60 min
Hallertauer (4.2% AA) 17.1 g and boil for 30 min
Yeast: #3068 Weihenstephan, #3056 Bavarian Wheat Blend, Burgdorfer Weizenhefe, Danstar Munich
Water: Burgdorf Mash: 18 L (4.8 gal), sparge: 29 L (7.7 gal) @78°C (172°F)
Rest: 4 steps Mash in @47°C (117°F) without acidified malt, 20 min @ 45°C (113°F), add acidifiec malt, 15 min @ 53°C (127°F), 30 min @ 63°C (145°F), 40 min @ 72°C (162°F), 10 min @ 78°C (172°F)
Boil: Total 60 min
Fermentation: Primary 9 days @ 18°C (72°F) in a plastic bucket
Secondary N/A
Maturation: Carbonation (CO2 vol) 4 with 22 g of cane sugar per 2 L (0.53 gal)
Maturation time 2 weeks @20°C (68°F) and 3 – 4 weeks @4°C (39°F)

Mash is resting

Fly sparging

Kettle is ready for a boil

05/01/2011: Brew day. The lautering was a real trouble maker. I could not get a clear wort for nearly a quarter of an hour. I gave up trying and begun to collect the hazy wort and hoped to get rid of the sediments in the whirlpool. To be sure that no sediments get into the fermenter, I used a mash bag to filter the wort after it went through the chiller. There weren’t much residuals in the bag after filtering. So I filled up the little fermenters for a second time and let it ferment. Used two buckets again for a backup if one of the fermentation would not be okay.

I used the rest of the batch for an experimental Orangenweizen, and for a normal wheat beer fermented with by the #3068 Weihenstephan yeast.

05/11/2011: Bottled the beers as they reached the terminal gravity already. Added sugar to the bottles and the huge bottling marathon begun for a second time. Left the bottle at room temperature for two weeks for bottle conditioning and stored them for three weeks in the refrigerator before tasting.

June/July 2011: The tasting begun. Results are in the report about the wheat yeast comparison experiment.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s