Eureka, yet another recipe from the old days (2010). There is one recipe left to publish and afterwards all my recipes up to batch number 50 will be on this blog. The recipe below is basically a recipe clone to re-create a Kellerbier (link to ratebeer) I tasted during a study trip to Heidelberg, Germany. Originally brewed by the Kulturbrauerei Heidelberg. We even visited the brewery for a tour which was quite interesting as well. Was quite a nice study trip. Our goal was to find the best beer in Heidelberg… In the end, the group decided Heidelberger Export (link to ratebeer) to be the best. Anyway… Lets get back to the Kellerbier. I really enjoyed this beer, bought myself a bottle and isolated the yeast from it. And this recipe was the first (and last) attempt to brew a Kellerbier clone using the isolated yeast.
|Recipe:||Heidelberger Kellerbier Clone|
|Numbers:||Volume [L]||5 (1.3 gal)|
|Original gravity||13.5°P (1.054)|
|Terminal gravity||4°P (1.016)|
|Color||Around 20 EBC|
|Grains:||Munich malt (14.5 EBC)||0.65 kg|
|Caramunich II (120 EBC)||0.075 kg|
|Acidified malt (5 EBC)||0.025 kg|
|Vienna (8 EBC)||0.3 kg|
|Hops:||Hallertauer Tradition (4% AA)||8.2 g and boil for 90 min|
|Saazer (5% AA)||5 g and boil for 1 min|
|Yeast:||Wyeast’s||Yeast isolated from
|Water:||Burgdorf||Mash: 4 L (1.1 gal), sparge: 5 L (1.3 gal) @78°C (172°F)|
|Rest:||Mash in @55°C (131°F),
15 min @55°C (131°F),
35 min @64°C (147°F),
20 min @72°C (162°F),
20 min @ 78°C (172°F)
|Boil:||Total 90 min|
|Fermentation:||Primary||14 days @8°C (46°F) in plastic fermenter|
|Maturation:||Carbonation (CO2 vol)||3 with sugar addition|
|Maturation time||> 3 weeks|
August 2010: (Don’t know the exact date anymore). Small batch brew day. Crushed all the grains, mashed in at 35°C (95°F) and increased the temperature to 55°C (131°F) and followed the mash schedule as mentioned in the recipe above. Then sparged at 78°C (172°F) and boiled the wort with the mentioned hops. Cooled down to 20°C (68°F) and stored the fermenter (no yeast added yet) in my refrigerator at 8°C (46°F) over night. I then added the yeast in the morning, aerated by shaking and left the fermentation go for 14 days. Gravity was down to 4°P. Left the fermenter sit at room temperature for two days (diacetyl rest). Then bottled with an addition of sugar.
Tasting: (beer nearly 2 months in the bottles):
Aroma: Very malty. Nothing else.
Appearance: Brilliant clear, amber color, white head with very small bubbles.
Flavor: Malty, caramel, sweet, not bitter and slightly dry nevertheless
Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, average carbonation level, finishes with a malty medium lasting aftertaste.
Overall Impression: Unfortunately, I could not compare this batch with the original brew since I had to drink the only bottle I got to get to the yeast sediment. However, this is a very neat malt-caramel driven beer like one would expect from a Kellerbier.
I lost the isolated yeast strain in the meantime and this is why I can’t brew another batch. Honestly, I am not sure if I would have brewed a second batch anyway. Anyway, it turned out great, was fun to brew and cool to use an isolated yeast as a primary strain. Cheers!