Eureka, today another post about a rather old recipe of mine. The recipe below is for the second share of the #35 Rusalka Imperial Stout. I originally did a full batch of the #35 Rusalka Imperial Stout and decided to use 10 L of the wort for another Imperial Stout. The difference between the two shares is basically the original gravity and the yeast strain used. I used a dry yeast (Safbrew S33) for this share and increased the OG by adding some sugar and added some raisins and vanilla beans to the secondary fermenter as well. Simple as that. Lets go through the recipe.
|Recipe:||Rusalka Imperial Stout II
|Numbers:||Volume [L]||10 (2.6 gal)|
|Original gravity||27.5°P (calculated)
|Color||Around 209 EBC|
|Grains:||Pale malt (6.5 EBC)||7 kg|
|Wheat malt (4 EBC)||0.9 kg|
|Roasted barley (1150 EBC)||1.13 kg|
|Carafa Typ 1 (900 EBC)||1.13 kg|
|Crystal 120 (120 EBC)||0.4 kg
|Hops:||Northern Brewer (10%)||48.1 g and boil for 60 min|
|Northern Brewer (10%)||37.1 g and boil for 30 min|
|Northern Brewer (10%)||28 g and boil for 15 min|
|East Kent Goldings (5.1%)||23.6 g and boil for 15 min|
|East Kent Goldings (5.1%)||83.3 g and boil for 3 min|
|Water:||Burgdorf||Mash: 2.5 L (0.66 gal), sparge:
4 L (1.06 gal) @78°C (172°F)
|Rest:||Mash in @66°C (151°F),
90 min @66°C (151°F),
10 min @ 78°C (172°F)
|Boil:||Total 60 min|
|Fermentation:||Primary||7 days @20°C (68°F) in plastic fermenter
+ 0.46 kg dark candy sugar
|Secondary||7 days @20°C (68°F) in plastic fermenter
+ 0.5 kg table sugar + 2 vanilla beans
+ 50 g raisins
|Maturation:||Carbonation (CO2 vol)||2 vol with sugar|
|Maturation time||> 6 months|
05/28/11: Brew day. As already mentioned, this batch is a share of the #35 Rusalka Imperial Stout wort. For further information about the brew day go to #35 Rusalka Imperial Stout. I filled a small fermenter with 10 L of cool wort (OG 18°P), shook the fermenter very well and added a package of Safbrew S33. I then added the dark candy sugar approximately three days later.
06/03/2011: Seven days after pitching. I racked the beer to a secondary fermenter and added another 0.5 kg of sugar plus some two vanilla beans and some raisins. I dissolved the sugar in some water first and boiled the sugar solution for a couple of minutes and added the raisins and two split vanilla beans to the solution as it cooled down. Then added the solution to the secondary fermenter as it reached ambient temperature. I racked the beer after seven days already to get rid of the majority of the yeast and trub. There are still enough yeast cells in the beer to ferment the second share of sugar in the secondary fermenter.
06/13/2011: It is bottling time. Already seven days after racking to the secondary fermenter. The beer was very clear already and I bottled the beer with an addition of sugar to reach a carbonation level of approximately 2 vol of carbon dioxide. I would not recommend bottling such a heavy beer so shortly after racking to a secondary. However, I planned a very long maturation period for this brew. I guess the long maturation process gives the yeast in the bottles enough time to clean up any fermentation byproducts and for the flavors to mellow out.
I am writing this post in October 2012 and I haven’t done a proper tasting of this brew yet. I can’t even remember when I last tried this beer anyway. Sure I tried it before but it was still very edgy. I might do a tasting at Christmas this year… Stay tuned!
02/17/2013: Posted tasting notes.