Eureka, time for yet another recipe from my first experiences as a homebrewer. This is a recipe I did back in 2009, a German Ale style beer fermented with Wyeast’s #1007 German Ale yeast. Pretty easy grist, mash schedule and fermentation. Lets go through the recipe:
|Numbers:||Volume [L]||19 (5 gal)|
|Color||Around 10 EBC|
|Grains:||Pilsner malt (4 EBC)||0.38 kg|
|Vienna malt (8 EBC)||3.9 kg|
|Carapils (4 EBC)||0.1 kg|
|Acidified malt (5 EBC)||0.1 kg|
|Hops:||Hersbrucker (3.2% AA)||37 g and boil for 90 min|
|Tettnanger (4.1% AA)||22 g and boil for 80 min|
|Yeast:||#1007 German Ale|
|Water:||Burgdorf||Mash: 18 L (4.8 gal), sparge: 15 L (4 gal) @78°C (172°F)|
|Rest:||Mash in @45°C (113°F), 20 min @ 43°C (109°F), 30 min @ 63°C (145°F), 30 min @ 71°C (160°F), 10 min @ 78°C (172°F)|
|Boil:||Total 90 min|
|Fermentation:||Primary||7 days @ 20°C (68°F) in plastic fermenter|
|Maturation:||Carbonation (CO2 vol)||2.5 (bottled at 4.7°P)|
|Maturation time||> 3 weeks|
05/01/09: Brew day number twelve begins. All went according to the recipe above. Nothing to mention here.
05/07/09: Bottled the beer with a gravity of 4.7°P. The forced fermentation test finished at a gravity of 3.3°P. There should be enough sugars left for the appropriate carbonation level. The pressure gauge I used to check the carbonation level showed a pressure of about 2.05 bar after a few days into the bottle fermentation. This is equal to a carbonation level of approximately 2.5 vol of carbon dioxide.
I have to mention here, that I did several batches where I bottled the beer just at the right time to have enough sugars left for the carbonating process. Now I just add sugar or even unfermented wort. This is far easier than waiting for the right time to bottle. Another thing that I do differently today is the time for fermentation and secondary fermentations in the first place. I did no secondary fermentation steps back then. Now I leave the beer for another two weeks in the fermenter to let it clear and finish the fermentation.
No tasting results for this batch. Sorry for that. I must have lost them… From the grist I would expect a rather malty beer (due to the high amount of Vienna malt) and a rather subtle hop character. If someone else out there gives this recipe a go please let me know how it turned out.