Eureka, todays post is all about roasting pumpkin, spices and beer. And it all begun with the idea to use a pumpkin from my garden and make a beer with it. I did some research about pumpkin beers and came across Steve DellaSala’s post about brewing a pumpkin beer. And the following recipe is more or less the same as Steve’s recipe:
|Recipe:||Smashed Pumpkin Ale|
|Numbers:||Volume [L]||18.9 (5 gal)|
|Color||Around 16 EBC|
|Grains:||Pilsner malt (4 EBC)||3.0 kg|
|Carapils (4 EBC)||0.2 kg|
|Munich malt (14.5 EBC)||0.5 kg|
|Vienna malt (8 EBC)||0.5 kg|
|Crystal (120 EBC)||0.5 kg|
|Pumpkin roasted||2.0 kg|
|Hops:||Columbus (15% AA)||8.7 g and boil for 90 min|
|Willamette (5.6% AA)||13.4 g and boil for 20 min|
|Cascade (5.9% AA)||13.5 g and boil for 20 min|
|Cascade (5.9% AA)||13.5 g and boil for 2 min|
|Nutmeg, cinnamon||0.5 spoon of nutmeg, 1 spoon of cinnamon and boil for 90 min|
|Nutmeg, cinnamon||0.5 spoon of nutmeg, 1 spoon of cinnamon and boil for 20 min|
|Nutmeg, cinnamon, coriander||1 spoon of nutmeg, 1 spoon of cinnamon, 1 spoon of coriander and boil for 2 min|
|Yeast:||#1056 American Ale|
|Water:||Burgdorf||Mash: 12 L (3.2 gal), sparge: 17 L (4.5 gal) @78°C (172°F)|
|Rest:||Mash in @74°C (165°F), 60 min @ 74°C (165°F), 10 min @ 78°C (172°F)|
|Boil:||Total 90 min|
|Fermentation:||Primary||7 days @ 20°C (68°F) in plastic fermenter|
|Secondary||14 days @ 20°C (68°F) in plastic fermenter|
|Maturation:||Carbonation (CO2 vol)||2.5 (carbonated with table sugar)|
|Maturation time||> 3 weeks|
03/10/12: The pumpkin brew day begins. All started with the preparation of the pumpkin. I used a Musque de Provence which grew happily in my back garden last year. I chopped the whole pumpkin into dices and had 2 kg of pumpkin. I then roasted the dices at 180°C (356°F) in my oven for one hour and let them cool down. The dices were pretty small and dry after roasting for one hour. The mash went great, iodine test was negative after resting for one hour and the sparging was rather fast. I then added the first addition of the hops as well as the pumpkin dices as soon as the wort begun to boil. All the other hops and spices were added as mentioned in the recipe above. I used freshly ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon and ground coriander. The smell was pretty intense during the boil and the boil looked very funny with all the pumpkin on top (see picture on the right). But the fun was not over yet. I then transferred the wort into my whirlpool kettle and gave the mash a stir to let the hops and other debris settle to the bottom. I then begun with the cooling of the wort. Unfortunately, the valve of the whirlpool kettle plugged several times due to the massive amount of debris from the pumpkin. The pumpkin dices broke apart during the boil and formed kind of fibrous particles. And these particles cloaked the valve and cooler several times. I tried to get the wort running again for several times and finally lost my patience. I then just dumped the whole stuff into the fermenter with all the debris (hops, pumpkin, spices and the hot break material) and hoped to get rid of all the stuff as I rack the beer to the secondary fermenter. I then added some 1056 American Ale yeast and the fermentation begun.
03/17/12: Transferred the beer into a secondary fermenter. There was a lot of trub in the fermenter. And I decided to leave the trub in there and just rack the clear wort above the sediment. I therefore lost a lot of the beer… I guess this is the price you have to pay if you leave all the debris in the wort.
03/31/12: The beer now matured for two weeks and I bottled it with the addition of sugar and fresh yeast. I used half a package of a Windsor dry yeast to ensure the proper carbonation of the beer. There is no reason why I went with this particular yeast. It was just in my refrigerator and I had no use for it in the near future. The bottles will now carbonate for another week and I will let them mature for some time before a first tasting.
Now, the recipe itself was really interesting to brew. But the amount of debris makes it really difficult to handle. I can’t imagine how the sparging would be if the pumpkin is added during the mash. If I would do this brew again, I would try to get rid of the debris somehow. Maybe use a filter, maybe use a bag for the pumpkin. Anyway, I am really looking forward to taste this beer. Stay tuned!
08/06/2013: Posted the tasting notes